Going Under… Under The Knife

Going Under… Under The Knife

Going Under… Under The Knife

I’m finally home and healing from my surprise surgery! The following story is a little incomplete, as I skipped over the parts I don’t remember or the parts that were too personal to talk about. The following is what I remember of my experience before and after surgery a few days ago…

When I was admitted, everything began happening so fast. Much faster than what I was prepared for.

I was stuck with an IV, changed, stripped of my jewelry, and put in a bed while they removed my nailpolish – much to my confusion. I asked for a single room, because this experience required quiet and privacy. DN came and went, as he was settling hospital bills and arranging everything for my stay.

Within an hour and a half, they were ready for me to go to surgury – but not before another ultrasound test..?

DN and I were confused as to why they would need another ultrasound test after the MRI from the previous night. He contacted the doctor who spoke to the nurse and I was taken back to my room. Not moments after, they came to take me to surgery. DN followed me as far as he could… To the Operating Theatre.

Once inside, I laid in a bed, waiting. The room was dark. There were many other patients behind partially closed curtains, resting. I waited for 15 to 20 minutes, before a few nurses gathered. They asked me my name, and what surgery I was going to have. And finally, they rolled my bed into the operating room.

I went to the operating room completely awake. It was lying on the table there, that I fell asleep. When the man injected me, it felt thick, like a wave washing over me, starting from my hand. It moved up my arm, and I knew it was coming.. So I closed my eyes.

I was very busy dreaming something… But I don’t remember my dream.

The next thing I remember, I was unable to breathe. They pulled a tube out of my throat and covered my face with an oxygen mask. I remember them talking to me. Suddenly, I saw DN above me. “I am here. Okay?”

I struggled to keep my eyes open. I was trying to breathe and the pain was unbearable. When I opened my eyes again, I was in a dark room which I knew to be the OT. I couldn’t lift my head to look around, so I focused on trying to breath instead. Faces of nurses would buzz by. One face stopped. “Is it too much pain or can you tolerate it?”

I couldn’t produce an answer and the face left.

“Are you okay?” Asked another face. I shook my head and that face left.

“What..the..?” I managed.

My lips started to tremble and then my whole body was shaking from the pain.

“Are you cold? Or are you in pain?” A male nurse asked me.

“I’m in so much pain…” I spoke with a soft raspy voice.

I felt my blankets being tucked in, and then a lady nurse appeared to give me an injection for pain.

The surgeon’s face appeared. “Crystal, you’re okay. Your surgery went fine. You can leave in half an hour, to go back to your room.” I turned my head to face him and said, “Where’s my friend?”

The surgeon looked around and asked everyone. “Where is her friend?”

“Oh,” the surgeon said, “He’s not allowed in here. You’ll see him soon.”

“I’m taking this.” The surgeon said, before removing the oxygen mask. I gasped for air like a fish out of water, and had to quickly learn again, how to extract oxygen from the air.

My body slowly calmed and I continued to focus on breathing. I started to look around to pass the time.

In no time I was escorted to my room in my bed. That part is still a blur. I don’t really remember getting there, I just remember arriving. DN and Via left the room, and I had to move from the stretcher to my hospital bed with the help of nurses. For the first day and a half, I was dependent on the nurses and couldn’t leave my bed. I was very grumpy, but DN was very helpful even so. ~


  • Andrea

    I am glad you are on the other side of this! Yes, A. also had a lot of pain when he woke up too. That is pretty normal and they need to adjust your pain medication… then it is your job to take the pain meds on schedule for next few days. He took a week off for the surgery but was feeling much better after about four days. Follow the doctors’ instructions to the letter and go to them with any sign of complication, but you should not have any! This is a very common and routine surgery and you are gonna be fine <3

    • Rani

      Thanks Andrea. ♥ I’ve finally reached the last day of medication! lol
      I’m feeling so much better, and my wounds have almost completely healed. I’m just glad all the scary parts are over. And after a few weeks of eating plain rice and maggie, I’m ready for some real food. lol

  • Katy

    So glad to hear from you! I’ve been thinking of you all week, hoping everything was okay. What an experience! Hopefully you are now getting much needed rest and relaxation. 🙂

    • Rani

      Hey Katy! I was just thinking about you! While I was recovering, I started thinking… “I really need to take pictures of the interior decoration to show Katy.” lol
      I’m glad I’m finally well enough to blog again. I’ll be by your page soon. Take care!

  • Susan

    I’m glad you came through the surgery okay. You were really brave, much more than I would gave been. Take good care of yourself. Susan

    • Rani

      Yes, me too. It was quite scary, and I’m really hoping I never have to have surgery again!
      Take care of yourself, too Sue!

  • Cindy

    I wish I could have been there but I am so glad that the doctors, nurses and DN took such good care of you. I miss you, especially at times like these. Take good care of yourself for me, dear daughter. I love you. ♡
    xoxo – Mom

    • Rani

      I am, mom. ♥

  • We Finally Got A Plant! | My Hindi Heart

    […] feeling better by the way. I woke up with energy, and I’m no longer feeling any pain. I had to get the staples removed a few days ago, but I’m feeling much better! I found myself […]

Post A Comment