Before coming to India, I learned this little secret about oiling your hair: It keeps it nice and strong, and helps it grow. Oil protects your hair from the damaging heat of the sun, as well as the cold, dry winter. In India, women and men use oil in their hair to protect it from the heat and help keep it strong. In turn, it helps prevent hair loss.
Before you even start using oil in your hair, here are some things you can do, to stop damaging your hair and return it to a healthy state:
- Stop washing your hair every day. The natural oils your scalp produces help keep your hair healthy. Find a washing routine that works for you, but don’t wash it every day.
- Consider washing with water only, or using a conditioner only hair care method.
- Stop applying hair products such as hair spray, gel, hair dye, etc. These products are not natural and can be very damaging for your hair. If you prefer to dye your hair anyway, consider staining your hair instead, or finding a more natural way to dye your hair.
- Stop using curling irons or flat irons every day. There are more natural ways to curl and straighten your hair.
If you want long, strong, healthy hair, consider using this mixture in your hair at least once a week. I found this recipe when I was searching for a way to help my hair grow faster.
What you need:
- A glass mixing bowl and spoon
- 100% PURE Peppermint Essential Oil
- 100% PURE Almond Oil (It’s okay if it’s 100% Sweet Almond Oil)
Note: Peppermint Essential Oil will burn your skin if used by itself, or if you mix too much. Please follow these measurements exactly, and test the mixture on the back of your hand before applying it to your scalp.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of Almond Oil and 8 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil into a glass mixing bowl
- Brush your hair until it’s free of tangles
- Wet your hair with warm water and thoroughly towel dry
- Begin applying oil to the scalp, using your fingertips
- Completely saturate your scalp with the oil mixture
- Once your scalp is saturated with oil, brush your hair to help spread the oil
- Use the rest of the oil on the ends of your hair, and work it back up to the scalp
- Brush your hair again, to spread the oil
- When your hair is well oiled, braid it or style it up to keep it off of your face and clothes
You can keep this oil mixture in overnight, or for a few days, depending on what you are comfortable with and what your hair-care routine is like.
Here’s a video tutorial, courtesy of farahdukai.